AbbVie Field Director, Medical Science Liaisons, Immunology/Rheumatology- West in Austin, Texas
The Regional Field Director (RFD) leads, directs, coordinates and supports the activities of the MSLs within the specified region to achieve clinical and business objectives within the Immunology therapeutic area. The Regional Field Director is one of multiple RFDs that works cross-functionally within AbbVie to identify, develop, and implement MSL strategies and tactics and monitors results, reporting to the US MSL Director. The region that is covered will be determined with the right candidate.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- The RFD is fully accountable for the deployment, direction, and execution of the MSL organization's goals and objectives.
- RFDs are accountable for and have decision-making responsibility for deploying resources to support and ensure attainment of business objectives.
- This includes adhering to regional fiscal budgets, dissemination of scientific information within corporate regulatory and compliance guidelines, managing team and individual performance within their duties, project management and quantifying and reporting regional results.
- Serves as mentor for other RFDs including training and coaching.
Leads, directs, coordinates and supports the activities of the MSLs within a designated geographic region to achieve clinical and business objectives within a therapeutic area of US Medical Affairs (USMA). o This includes coaching and mentoring for a designated number of management level professionals (MSLs) in a therapeutic region.
* The RFD reports to a US therapeutic Director of MSLs and works cross-functionally within USMA to identify, develop, and implement MSL strategies and tactics and also monitors results.
* Duties include strategic planning, financial management, personnel management, managing performance management process, professional development, training and support and execution of organizational goals and objectives. * Responsible for territory plan development and clinical positioning of a designated product line in the geographic area.
* Training, mentoring and leadership of other projects impacting the overall organization.
* Assists the Director with business/clinical strategy and tactical plan development, tactical plan implementation, impact goal achievement, and quantification of results at the field level. * Maintains business and clinical knowledge of designated therapeutic area, including current treatment strategies, current and pending competitors, and new therapeutic developments This includes being held accountable for new hire assessments * Continually educate self on market issues / trends and product knowledge as it pertains to specific business interests and contribute to the gap analysis within the therapeutic area. * Ensures that MSL team members maintain adequate communications and interaction across cross functional counterparts, when appropriate and according to compliance and regulatory guidelines.
* Ensures MSLs have the necessary tools, training, and materials to perform effectively. A minimum of four live field ride-alongs/coaching per MSL within region * Works with other MSL Regional Field Directors to ensure standardization and consistency of MSL role. * Responsible for providing consistent and timely feedback to MSLs regarding their individual performance and progress, including annual performance reviews, growth and succession planning, and real time field reports based upon regular field travel. * Addresses performance issues decisively and appropriately in accordance with AbbVie’s guidelines and Performance Excellence process. * Establishes a productive work environment by creating trust and respect within the group, and establishes self as a business partner. * Develops an atmosphere of confidence and strength, and creates opportunities to recognize and reward outstanding individual and team performance. Builds an organization reflecting a diverse workforce.
* Ensures MSL team members update and maintain all required databases with current and complete information.
* Ensures appropriate documentation of HCP interactions and responses to unsolicited requests. * Appropriately allocates resources as requested to support franchise and business initiatives. Insures the cross functional integration of the MSL team at the field level to maximize USMA strategic initiatives * Completes special projects with overall organizational impact. Also responsible for identifying potential projects and bringing them to the attention of Sr. Leadership. Goal for these projects would be to enhance business success.
* Identifies opportunities for cross-functional integration of MSL roles and activities at the field level within AbbVie * Communicates regional activities and results to Director and other cross-functional leadership and continually ensure consistent ways of working. * Ensures team member adherence to regulatory and compliance guidelines in all aspects of scientific dissemination of information. * Actively participate in USMAT and/or IBT
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree. Advanced degree/doctorate strongly preferred.
- Significant industry experience in Immunology therapeutic area may be accepted in lieu of education requirements.
- Greater than or equal to 3 years (greater than 5 years preferred) with demonstrated leadership success in the following areas: pharmaceutical field-based experience (e.g. MSL) and/or pharmaceutical industry related experience.
Willing to travel 75% of the time
Key AbbVie Competencies:
Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated
- Works independently and is proactive with solutions
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Has a positive attitude and proven ability to implement change, lead others and is comfortable dealing with ambiguity.
Job Classification: Experienced
Job: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Primary Location: USA-Texas-Austin
Organization: Research & Development
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Req ID: 1706288
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled