AbbVie Senior/Principal Research Scientist, Neuroinflammation in Cambridge, Massachusetts
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior / Principal Research Scientist (depending on experience) to join our Alzheimer’s disease focused Neuroinflammation group in Cambridge MA.
Recent genetic findings and transcriptomic analysis in Alzheimer’s disease confirm that microglial responses are important drivers of pathological processes. Yet, much work needs to be undertaken to delineate how microglia are involved in disease processes, and how this might be targeted effectively and safely to develop novel therapies.
We are looking for an accomplished microglial expert with experience in neurodegenerative disease, preferably Alzheimer’s disease. The successful applicant will join an existing team of multi-disciplinary Scientists and establish an own laboratory presence. The position will help to shape the growth of the Neuroinflammation group. Proven scientific expertise as well as managerial skills are a must. The position will be part an integral part of the global Neuroinflammation team located in Cambridge MA and Ludwigshafen Germany.
- As part of the global Neuroinflammation team, set and execute Abbvie’s Neuroinflammation strategy
- Contribute scientific and technical expertise to multiple project teams focused on Neuroinflammation and Neurodegeneration
- Execute on planned experimental design, collect data, interpret/analyze results and present conclusions
- Generate robust and complete data sets to make key Go/NoGo decisions on novel drug targets
- Work diligently and efficiently to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
Position will be hired based on level of education and experience.
- PhD degree in Biology or related field with 8-10 or more years of Neuroinflammation research experience
- Experience in neurodegeneration research, with a special consideration for Alzheimer’s disease
- Hands on experience in relevant technologies, such as microglia or hematopoetic iPSC cell culture; genomics, transcriptomics, or proteomics; RNAi or CRISPR screening; flow cytometry and FACS; or high content screening
- Demonstrated ability to learn, understand and establish new experimental techniques
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to other group members
- Ability to work in a globally distributed team
- Strong organizational skills that facilitate planning, multitasking and working within timelines
Demonstrated scientific writing skills, record keeping and strong verbal communication skills
Experience in Alzheimer's disease research
Pharma/biotech industry experience
Key Leadership Competencies:
Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality
Job Classification: Experienced
Job: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Primary Location: USA-Massachusetts-Cambridge
Organization: Research & Development
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 1701380
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled