AbbVie Director, Vendor Management in Lake County, Illinois
The Director, IT Sourcing & Vendor Management is responsible for leading a team of Vendor Managers and Sourcing Analysts (the Vendor Management Office). The VMO is chartered with formulating sourcing strategies, collaborating with Purchasing on negotiation preparations, and managing the vendor lifecycle (contract, performance, financial, risk and relationship management). The Director is responsible for developing and leading the IT vendor management strategy, ensuring that IT vendors are delivering maximum value through their services; identifying and executing value opportunities with key vendor relationships; reporting on vendor performance in areas that include (but are not limited to) quality, capacity, systems and responsiveness; ensuring the VMO is mitigating, monitoring and managing vendor risks; establishing the right organizational structure and enabling staff development; and engaging with executive management and the broader organization to ensure the VMO’s alignment with business strategy and goals.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interact with vendors, business analysts and managers, and communicate with executives.
- Interface with finance, accounts payable, procurement/purchasing and technical teams.
- Provide oversight to vendor audits where required.
- Arrange and direct departmental activities and schedules.
- Implement/manage the global team to consistently support teams of vendor managers and sourcing analysts.
- Work with the asset management organization and resources to manage software and hardware assets.
- Provide appropriate support/training to senior staff as it relates to vendor management.
- Lead sourcing strategy engagements in collaboration with service delivery and procurement.
- Develop and manage relationships with corporate procurement.
- Build/develop a team to work effectively and consistently on a global basis.
- Drive improvements in internal customer satisfaction related to specific vendors; and improvements in performance, cost, quality, risk and performance metrics related to specific vendors.
- Ensure that strong vendor relationships are in place through a team of IT vendor managers.
- Motivate vendors to work as partners to meet the goals of the company and to work effectively with other vendors to support the needs of the company.
Deliver new ideas and innovation through the vendor management program.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITY / SCOPE:The Director, IT Sourcing & Vendor Management reports to the Vice President of IT Strategy and Enterprise Architecture.
The Director, IT Sourcing & Vendor Management works extensively with internal customers, legal, procurement and accounts payable to ensure effective contract administration. This role requires extensive interactions within IT and with business leaders, including the office of the CIO and other IT management, strategy and planning, and business technology organizations. Because the position’s responsibilities cut across functional and organizational boundaries, the position requires an ability to balance multiple stakeholders and interests. Contract scope can range from commodity products and services to highly complex relationships with multiple vendors and contract schedules. The position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to deliver high performance as part of a global team; strong dispute resolution and mediation skills to handle issue escalation and to drive win-win outcomes; knowledge of market trends, pricing models, service delivery and innovations; an ability to bridge communications between the IT organization and its business customers, with a focus on developing an understanding of what the IT organization and its vendors can deliver and how that can be measured most effectively; an ability to manage across organizational boundaries, with the goal of understanding political drivers and influencers; interpersonal relationship strengths for managing disputes and driving change in vendor behaviors, and creating a working environment where vendors receive incentives to change behaviors to meet performance goals; and an analytical approach to problem solving, with a focus on managing in a team environment with attention to results and with a sense of urgency.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as business economics or computer science, Master preferred.
- Must have 12 years of experience, including 3 years working with global technology vendors, negotiating and managing complex contract lifecycles and vendor relationships.
- Minimum ten years' experience negotiating and managing complex contract lifecycles and vendor relationships, with an emphasis on technology and/or IT service agreements, or experience as an IT vendor account executive with responsibility for managing customer accounts and relationships; experience in multiple IT categories, including hardware, software, service and communication; knowledge of procurement and vendor management practices.
- Deep market knowledge of IT products and services (software and hardware) and current trends (cloud, digital and agile); strong and visible leadership to establish authority and influence both internally and externally to the organization; strong people skills with ability to motivate, energize and drive performance from your team (direct or matrix management); and strong leadership and organizational management skills, with the ability to handle a wide range of duties, is required.
- Demonstrate a high level of core, technical and leadership competencies including leading a global team.
- Demonstration of successful coaching/mentoring and people management.
- Possess good communication and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated expertise with analysis of payment conditions, contracts and documents.
- Deep market knowledge of IT products and services (hardware and software) and current trends.
Job Classification: Experienced
Job: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Primary Location: USA-Illinois-Lake County
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 1705414
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled