AbbVie Senior Scientist, Physical Chemistry in Lake County, Illinois
The Fragment-based Drug Discovery Group at AbbVie Headquarters in Lake County, Illinois is seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our SPR-based fragment screening team. The candidate should have extensive hands-on experience in designing/conducting fragment screening and binding kinetics studies by SPR . A sound understanding of assay development/optimization and experience in high throughput work environment is required. Experience in probing protein-ligand interactions by other techniques (i.e. ITC, NMR, TSA, etc) is also highly beneficial. The candidate will work collaboratively with other biophysicsts, protein scientists, structural biologists and medicinal chemists to identify and develop high-quality lead compounds for programs across different therapeutic areas.
- Perform high-throughput SPR-based screening
- Design and perform experiments to confirm and characterize hits from high-throughput screens by SPR
- Perform detailed kinetics studies for lead molecules by SPR
- Apply SPR and other biophysical methods to further understanding of target biology and the mechanism of action of compounds from the early hit identification phase through to candidate drug selection and beyond.
- Develop/implement new methods for study of protein-protein and protein-small molecule interactions
- Maintain accurate and timely records of experimental designs, assay development/optimization, experimental results and data analysis
- Present results at internal meetings
- Routinely interact with scientists from therapeutic area project teams and core technology groups to develop and implement strategies to help advance programs
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or related field
- Extensive experience using SPR for fragment-screening and characterization of protein-ligand interactions
- Experience using ITC, NMR and/or other biophysical methods for measuring protein-ligand interactions will be highly valuable
- Sound knowledge in structural biology, protein science and enzymology
- Knowledge in utilizing cheminformatic tools will be a plus
- Experience working productively in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Skills in managing multiple projects from different therapeutic areas with clear understanding of project needs and ensuring delivery of high quality data with clear communication of timeline.
Effective written and verbal communication skills
Key AbbVie Competencies:
Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Job Classification: Experienced
Job: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Primary Location: USA-Illinois-Lake County
Organization: Research & Development
Req ID: 1703867
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled