AbbVie Senior Scientist, Protein Biochemistry in Lake County, Illinois
Seeking a highly-motivated and experienced research scientist to join our Protein Sciences group at our corporate headquarters located in the Chicago area. As part of a dynamic group responsible for cloning, expression, purification, and biophysical characterization of protein targets, the applicant will be expected to devise and implement protein biochemistry strategies to drive key drug discovery activities (i.e. assay development, screening, structure-based design, exploratory biology, etc) across the pipeline. The applicant should be highly skilled in recombinant protein engineering and purification. He/she should have extensive experience working with multi-subunit complexes and working with different expression systems and have a solid understanding of structural biology, protein sciences, biophysics and enzymology. The candidate should be able to work independently while contributing in a team environment, and can productively manage several projects simultaneously in a dynamic and rapidly evolving project landscape.
· Express and purify proteins to support assay development, HTS screen, biophysical assays and crystallization.
· Critically QC protein reagents for different applications.
· Closely work with project biology group to understand project needs and design proper experiments
· Read literature to provide clone design ideas and other protein biochemistry suggestions
· Evaluate scientific literature critically and adopt novel technologies to facilitate research
· Work independently on the design, execution, and interpretation of experimental results
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics or related field
- 3-4 years of relevant academic and/or pharmaceutical industry
- Experience with Ubiquitin Proteasome system essential
- Extensive experiences in the area of making recombinant proteins for assay development, biophysical studies and structural studies.
- Good problem-solving skills, capable of finding innovative ways to overcome issues (i.e. solubility, purity, heterogeneity, yield) with challenging proteins.
- Fermentation and molecular biology experience will be a strong plus.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to contribute in a multidisciplinary environment are essential.
- Good record keeping and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
Job Classification: Experienced
Job: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Primary Location: USA-Illinois-Lake County
Organization: Research & Development
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Req ID: 1704936
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled