AbbVie Senior Scientist II/III, Protein Analytical Chemistry in Redwood City, California
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments.
We are seeking a Senior Scientist to join the Protein Analytical Chemistry Group (within CMC Development) at the AbbVie location in Redwood City, CA. In this role, you will utilize your knowledge of analytical protein chemistry and expertise in mass spectrometry, capillary electrophoresis, and HPLC to enable CMC development of AbbVie’s growing pipeline of clinical stage oncology biotherapeutics, which include novel bispecific constructs, antibody-drug conjugates, and monoclonal antibodies.
Key responsibilities Include:
Independently develop and apply state of the art mass spectrometry, capillary electrophoresis, and HPLC methods to characterize biotherapeutic proteins and their associated variants and impurities.
Identify post-translational modifications and characterize structure-activity relationships of products under development.
Develop innovative approaches to solve difficult analytical challenges.
Develop, qualify/validate, and transfer fit-for-purpose QC release and stability methods.
Provide technical support and oversight for QC testing occurring at internal and external GMP testing laboratories.
Plan and author characterization, comparability, and quality sections of regulatory submissions (INDs/CTDs).
Represent the Protein Analytical Chemistry Group as a subject matter expert on cross functional teams.
Engage and influence the broader scientific community through publications and poster and oral presentations at industry conferences.
Position may be a lower level based on experience
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field with minimum of 3 years (Ph.D.), 10 years (MS), 12 years (BS) of industry experience for Senior Scientist II. Level of position is dependent upon total years of experience in industry and academia.
- Must possess a solid understanding of protein chemistry and biochemistry, particularly as related to biotherapeutic protein drug development.
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing and performing mass spectrometry, capillary electrophoresis, and HPLC as they apply to protein characterization.
- Experience with CMC analytical development of monoclonal antibodies or related biotherapeutic proteins is desired.
- Proven record of advanced technical/scientific achievement and innovation.
- Quality control and/or GMP experience is beneficial.
- Must have strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be capable of working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and managing multiple concurrent projects with a high degree of independence.
Job Classification: Experienced
Job: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Primary Location: USA-California-Redwood City
Organization: Research & Development
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Req ID: 1704090
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled